Thursday, January 19, 2012

MY THOUGHTS ON SUE GRAFTON'S LATEST MYSTERY

I just finished reading Sue Grafton’s V IS FOR VENGEANCE and enjoyed it very much. In fact, I couldn’t put this book down. It haunted me like a box of See’s Chocolates! I couldn’t think of anything else until I’d consumed each juicy morsel. Of all her latest books I liked this one the best. I’ve read articles where Grafton said she didn’t plot her books, but this one must have been an exception. It was definitely plotted, not written by the seat of her pants.
V is for Vengeance (Kinsey Millhone Mystery)
http://tinyurl.com/734osb7
Some of the chapters were written in first person with Kinsey Millhone telling the story, which is this author’s usual style. The book started with a chapter that, once upon a time, would have been called a prologue. Of course, that’s not done much anymore. Some readers dislike prologues, so writers solve the problem by calling whatever starts the book, chapter one. Or in this case, Before.

Most of the book was a flashback, and in less expert hands this might have been confusing and not worked. But in Grafton’s talented hands this technique just added to the suspense and was excellent. I loved this book, and I can’t say that about all of Grafton’s novels, even though I’m a huge fan.

Readers, if you have read V IS FOR VENGEANCE, let me know your thoughts. If you don’t agree with me, that’s fine. Just tell why.

Hugs to all,

Jackie

No comments: